Whenever you visit a friend’s home, walk through the park, use an elevator, or shop at your local store, you expect that you will be safe. This is because you trust the person in charge to eliminate any dangerous conditions on the property or warn you about them beforehand. Yet what happens when a property owner is negligent, and you get into a slip and fall accident?
If you have suffered injuries in a slip and fall, talk to an expert East Newark Slip and Fall Lawyer about pursuing a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
Common Slip and Fall Causes
A slip and fall happens when there is a sudden, unexpected change in the contact between your feet and the walking surface. It is commonly the result of a property owner failing to warn visitors or eliminating a hazardous condition on their property. The nature of these accidents could occur in multiple ways, including:
- Snow and ice on floors, pavements, and sidewalks.
- Slippery or wet floors from mopping, waxing, or spills.
- Cluttered floors.
- Uneven surfaces caused by loose floorboards, broken tiles, or loose carpeting.
- Open holes or potholes.
- Insufficient lighting in staircases and pavements.
The cause of your slip and fall plays an important role in determining liability for your injuries. If a floor was wet from moping and had no warning signs, for example, the property owner or landlord might be held liable for your injuries.
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall
What you do after a slip and fall accident will either protect or compromise your right to full and fair compensation. We understand you may be overwhelmed or confused after your injury, so here are some steps to keep in mind. When you get injured in a slip and fall:
- Assess yourself for injuries and seek medical treatment.
- File an accident report with the property manager or security guard and request a copy.
- Take photos of the scene and your injuries.
- Collect the contact information of willing witnesses.
- Follow up on all your doctor’s appointments and maintain your medical records.
- Avoid recording a statement with your insurer until you have spoken to your attorney.
The final and most important step in this process is to contact an East Newark Slip and Fall Lawyer to evaluate your case and advise you on your next steps. Remember to always seek medical attention even if you are not in pain, and have no visible injuries, as some can be late-appearing.
Talk to an East Newark Slip and Fall Lawyer
The financial compensation you receive for a slip and fall will go towards paying for your medical expenses, lost income, pain, and suffering, among other losses. While this may not be enough to take away the trauma of being injured, it could go a long way in helping you get back on your feet.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall, it is never too soon to speak to an experienced East Newark Slip and Fall Lawyer. Attorney Anthony Carbone has been representing accident victims in New Jersey for over 30 years. Contact him online today or at 201-733-2230 to schedule an initial consultation.