Be prepared when you meet with a workers’ compensation lawyer
Here’s a scenario for you: Let’s say you’ve developed carpal tunnel and the cause is the repetitive action from your job. The doctor believes the condition is only going to get worse and you should have an operation on your wrist. Since it’s considered a workplace injury, you alert your employer that you plan to file for workers’ compensation to pay for the surgery as well as for the time you will be out of work. However, your employer refuses to file your claim with the insurance company. You’ve decided to get a workers’ compensation lawyer. What happens next?
The scenario may not be what you are experiencing but what the case may be, you need to talk to a workers’ compensation lawyer. But before this happens, you should be prepared so your lawyer will have the correct tools he/she needs to fight for your rights.
After setting up an appointment with the lawyer, make sure you have all the information needed to fight for your case. This includes:
- The date you were hired and the position you have
- When you learned of your injury and how it occurred
- The date you notified your employer or whoever you spoke to
- When you sought medical treatment and a brief summary of your current medical treatment to date.
In the scenario above, you won’t have any accident records or witness information, but it would help to bring any medical records with you, as well as information on any past injuries to that body part.
In addition to having the correct information, you should also have a list of questions for your lawyer. Here’s a few you might want to ask:
- How much of your practice is devoted to workers’ compensation?
- Will you be the one handling my case?
- Do I have a case and if so, what are the strengths and weaknesses?
- Will you give me regular updates on the case?
- How much will this cost me?
- Have you done this type of case in the past?
Also remember to check out your lawyer’s past cases and take a look at his/her client reviews to see if this is the right fit for you.
If you were injured in a workplace accident and need a lawyer to help you with your workers’ comp claim, you’ve come to the right place! Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.