You get into an accident that caused a serious injury. You learn that the accident was caused by someone’s careless actions. You decide that legal action is your only option to recover damages. So, you decide to pursue a personal injury claim. You set up an initial consultation with our Jersey City personal injury lawyer. What comes next?
When clients come to us to learn their legal options, many are not sure what they need to bring. Remember, you’re not only trying to choose the right attorney for your claim, but you need to know whether you have a case in the first place. The best way our law firm can assist you is if we have all the information of your case. We decided to create this little guide so you are prepared before seeing our attorney.
What You Should Bring to the Initial Consultation
Make sure you have all the material gathered pertaining to your case to bring to the initial consultation. Even if you aren’t asked beforehand, it’s still a good idea to bring information. Here are a few things you should bring with you:
- Copies of the police reports or any accident reports that were created
- Medical records. This includes any emergency medical services, primary care physician appointments, and physical therapy. Include any details that relate to your diagnosis and any future medical care.
- Your medical bills from medical care providers, even if you already paid.
- Your insurance coverage for the medical bills, including any notice of lien that was sent from your insurer
- Any details you have about missing work because of your injury. This includes any documentation you have on lost income, such as a pay stub.
- Any correspondence you have with either your insurance company or the other party’s carrier
- Any claims that have been filed in connection with your injury
- Physical evidence of the accident, your injury, and property damage such as photos, video, or recordings.
- Any journal or calendar entries you created detailing the after-effects of the accident, such as emotional trauma, or an account of your medical treatment.
You Need to Ask Questions to Find the Right Personal Injury Lawyer
The most important part of the initial consultation is to make sure you have the right personal injury attorney for your case. Here are a few things you should be asking the lawyer before hiring:
- How many personal injury cases of this type have you handled?
- Have those claims gone to trial? If they have, what was the outcome?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to personal injury cases like mine?
- How long have you been in practice?
- What are your fees?
- What are the problems my claim will be facing?
- How long will it take to reach a settlement or verdict?
- Would you be handling this case personally or will someone else in your firm take over? If so, can I meet that person?
NJ Personal Injury Lawyer Anthony Carbone is Ready to Assist You
If you get into an accident because of someone else’s negligence in Jersey City, you’re going to need legal assistance. Jersey City personal injury lawyer Anthony Carbone is prepared to take on your case. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.