Questions for Attorney Carbone: Our Son Stole From Us! Can We Have Him Arrested?

Posted December 19th, 2016 by .

Categories: Criminal Defense.

juvenile theft law offices of anthony carboneQuestion: My wife and I have been worried about our son for months now. It’s obvious that he’s on drugs. We’ve tried to help him any way we can and have even offered to take him to rehab, but nothing seems to get through. He has no job we’ve been wondering how he’s getting the money to pay for drugs. So I took a look at our bank statements and learned that he’s been taken my wife’s debit card and taking money out of our checking account. I’ve had enough! Can I have him arrested for the theft?

Answer: This is an awful situation and unfortunately, it happens all too often. Your first reaction is to punish your child and that is understandable. What your son committed is considered a disorderly persons offense in New Jersey. The punishment for this type of crime varies, depending how much is stolen. If your son has been stealing money on a regular basis, chances are he could be facing up to 10 years in prison with a fine of up to $150,000.

However, if your son is under 18, then it may be a different situation. He’ll be considered a juvenile in the eyes of the law. So instead of going to into Superior Court for the theft, he may be heading to a family courtroom. Here he may be facing a lesser sentence but could still end up in a juvenile detention center. Or, since he has a drug problem, there is a chance he will be sent to a drug rehabilitation center where he can get the help he needs.

These are things you need to think about before calling the police on your son. Be prepared because if you do decide to press charges against your son, he will have an arrest record, will head to jail until he is arraigned. It may hurt you and your wife, but it can help your son in the end.

If you have a legal question for Attorney Carbone or need legal help, we want to hear from you! Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today and get the help that you need.

Share this Post

Questions about your criminal defense case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat