With a land area of 0.1 miles, East Newark is the smallest municipality in Hudson County. Despite this, it is home to many drivers and road users, which means it is not immune to car accidents. These collisions can be debilitating and devastating, costing millions in bodily injury and property damage. Fortunately, car accident victims in New Jersey may qualify for financial compensation for their losses.
Have you been injured in a car accident through no fault of your own? Talk to an expert East Newark Car Accident Lawyer today to learn about your legal options.
Car Accident Causes in New Jersey
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), car accidents cause close to 600 fatalities every year in New Jersey alone. The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) also reports that New Jersey sees over 270,000 accidents every year. A significant number of these crashes result from driver error and negligence, including drunk driving and distracted driving.
While driver negligence plays a big role in car accidents in the state, it is only one category of car accident causes. The NHTSA also lists the following as causal factors:
- Vehicle defects – Defective vehicle parts or designs can lead to a malfunction and resultant accident. In such a case, the plaintiff may be able to take legal action against the car manufacturer or mechanic.
- Third-party negligence – Accidents are sometimes caused by hazardous road conditions as a result of poor road design or construction. Here, the injured person may bring a claim against the responsible municipality.
- Poor weather conditions – Common examples include heavy mist, rain, or sleet. Weather doesn’t affect liability where drivers are required to adjust their driving speed to accommodate such changes.
Economic Damages in a Car Accident
A large portion of your car accident settlement will go toward compensating you for your financial losses, otherwise called economic damages. This amount may cover the following:
- Medical expenses and hospital bills
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Aftercare needs
- Lost wages or lost future income
You may also receive reimbursement for non-economic damages, such as disfigurement, loss of companionship, loss of joy, pain, and suffering, and emotional trauma. Punitive damages are awarded when the court wishes to punish the defendant for acting out of malice or gross negligence.
Dealing with Insurance Companies
Your insurer or the one representing the liable party in your accident will usually want you to make a statement immediately after the accident. While they may seem like they want to help you, be aware that they don’t have your best interests at heart. They will be looking for anything that could shift fault to you.
If an insurance adjuster contacts you after the accident, avoid making or signing any statements until you have consulted your attorney. It is also crucial that you reject any initial and hurried offers.
Talk to an East Newark Car Accident Lawyer
Every car accident case is different, which means you can never be sure of what to expect from your claim. A knowledgeable car accident attorney can prepare you to face the entire legal process while doing most of the work themselves.
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is never too soon to speak to an experienced East Newark Car Accident Lawyer. Attorney Anthony Carbone has been representing car accident victims in New Jersey for over 30 years. Contact him online today or at 201-733-2230 to schedule an initial consultation.