How to Handle Hit and Run Accident Claims
The recent news is filled with reports of hit and run accidents. In nearby West New York, a seven-year-old was killed and her mother severely injured when they were struck by a hit and run driver. On the New Jersey Turnpike, a rookie New York City police officer lost his life when he was hit by a driver who continued on the roadway. New York City itself reported three deaths and two injuries, all due to hit and run accidents. Learn how to provide documentation for a hit and run accident claim to police and insurance companies.
Understanding what Constitutes a Hit and Run
More than likely, you already understand the basis of a hit and run accident, as a type of motor vehicle accident. The term applies to the following:
- Someone strikes you or your vehicle, stops momentarily at the scene and then takes off before waiting for police arrival. They may also object to exchanging information
- A motor vehicle hits you or your car, and speeds off. Their hope is that they can escape apprehension.
What Actions to take when someone runs from the Scene of an Accident
If you or a loved one is involved in a hit and run accident, you may be too incapacitated to react to the circumstances. Unfortunately, you may also have concerns about the wellbeing of your loved one. If possible, we suggest the following:
- Immediately dial 911 for emergency assistance
- Try to photograph the license plate of the vehicle that ran from the scene of the accident
- Attempt to recall the make and model of the vehicle that was involved in the incident
- Visually determine the vehicle occupants
What Else Should be documented concerning Your Hit and Run Claim?
We understand that it is difficult to obtain graphic documentation of the vehicle involved in your hit and run accident. However, there is other information that is important to your claim. Make a record of:
- Time and place of the accident
- If you were in a crosswalk, indicate its location
- Color of the traffic signal, if you were at an intersection
- Photographs of the accident scene and your vehicle, if applicable
At the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone, we have experience handling many hit and run accidents. We know the importance of investigation and have the resources to conduct it. Contact us to learn how we can help you pursue your claim.