Tips to keep in mind when getting a divorce
January is known as Divorce Month, where divorce filings increase drastically right after New Year’s. If you’re thinking of getting a divorce, you may be a little anxious. Not only do you have to deal with the dissolvement of your marriage but you also have to make hard decisions such as child support and custody, property and debt division, alimony, and dealing with the court. But don’t stress out! That’s what we’re here for!
It’s true, if you’ve never had to deal with the legal system before it can be intimidating. Let us take the mystery out of the process. Here is five helpful tips to keep in mind for a successful and stress-free divorce:
- Tip 1 – Get yourself a lawyer. Even the most amicable of divorces, you’ll need a lawyer by your side to handle filing the complaints and dealing with the courts. Remember to ask us anything you don’t understand. That’s what we’re here for!
- Tip 2 – Make sure all your paperwork is in order. This includes all your finances, property, and debts. This is important when it comes to dividing the assets and debts. If you hide any of your assets, it can poorly effect your settlement.
- Tip 3 – Take a moment to talk to your children about what’s happening. Divorce is hardest on the children. But if you keep them informed throughout the process, especially when it comes to where they’ll be living.
- Tip 4 – Keep an eye on filing and court dates. You won’t want to miss these.
- Tip 5 – Whether you like it or not, you must keep an open line of communication with your soon-to-be ex. By remaining hostile or refusing to speak, you can prolong the divorce proceedings. And remember to be civil.
If you are planning on getting a divorce, the contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone. For more than 25 years, we’ve been helping the people on New Jersey and we are ready to serve you. Contact us today for a free consultation.