The impacts of a criminal conviction extend beyond the personal to include social stigma and emotional trauma for both you and your loved one. If you serve time in prison, you may also have trouble transitioning back into the life you once lived.
Have you been charged with a crime in Bayonne? Anthony Carbone, an experienced Bayonne Criminal Defense Attorney, can help you fight your charges.
Criminal Offenses in New Jersey
Criminal offenses in New Jersey are categorized into two distinct classes, with the main difference being the level of punishment allotted to each. The categories are as follows:
- Disorderly person offenses – Similar to misdemeanors and have less severe punishments. Examples include property theft or shoplifting with losses worth less than $200.
- Indictable crimes – Similar to felonies, and hold severe punishments of at least 1 year of jail time. Examples include rape, burglary, and manslaughter.
Crimes in the fourth degree carry the least severe punishments, with 1st degree crimes being the most serious. While the former may hold a $1,000 fine, someone charges with a crime in the latter could face 20 years in prison or more.
DUI/DWI Charges in New Jersey
You may be charged with a DWI if you are found to be operating a motor vehicle or boat with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 percent or higher. A first offense could lead to severe punishments, such as;
- Jail time of up to 30 days
- Hefty fines and legal fees
- Increased insurance rates
- Driver’s license suspension
- Up to 5 points on your license
- Installation of ignition interlock on your vehicle
New Jersey does not allow plea bargains for DWI charges, which means that if your case goes to court, your attorney must win your case or get the charges thrown out.
How Can a Defense Attorney Help You?
If you are arrested or charged with a crime in New Jersey, your first course of action should be to speak to a Bayonne Criminal Defense Attorney. Attorney Carbone will evaluate the facts of your case and go about the following crucial steps:
- Investigating your case and collect evidence to build your defense
- Reviewing the evidence obtained by law enforcement against you
- Working on getting any illegally-obtained evidence thrown out of the case
- Presenting a defense to reduce or eliminate the charges against you
- Determining whether entering a plea bargain is in your best interest
- Preparing an aggressive defense if your case goes to trial.
It is not always possible to get criminal charges reduced or eliminated. If this is true about your case, attorney Carbone will work toward getting you the lightest sentence possible.
Talk to a Bayonne Criminal Defense Attorney
Anthony Carbone, an expert Bayonne Criminal Defense Attorney, has been defending the rights of criminal defendants in New Jersey for over 3 decades. He is familiar with the criminal court systems and has extensive experience applying various legal strategies to get your charges reduced or eliminated.
With his 30 years of experience, attorney Carbone can guide you through the entire process of clearing your name and record. He will tell you when it is advisable to accept a plea bargain and when to pursue a trial. Contact him today at 201-829-3829 to schedule a consultation.