A criminal conviction can hurt your employability in certain markets such as education and jobs involving driving, depending on your charges. It could also cost you in fines or jail time. If you are facing criminal charges in Hudson County, Anthony Carbone, an experienced Hudson County Criminal Defense Attorney, can help you fight your charges.
Criminal Offenses in New Jersey
New Jersey classifies criminal offenses into two distinct classes, with the main difference being the level of punishment allotted for each. The categories are as follows:
- Disorderly person offenses – Similar to misdemeanors and have less severe punishments. Examples include possession of less than 50 mg of marijuana and shoplifting.
- Indictable crimes – Similar to felonies, and hold severe punishments of at least 1 year of jail time. Examples include burglary, drug offenses, rape, manslaughter, and murder.
Under New Jersey criminal law, there are four degrees of severity for every criminal offense, with each carrying different levels of punishment. While a fourth-degree charge for petty theft may lead to a light fine, a first-degree indictable offense like manslaughter could result in 20 years of prison.
DUI/DWI Charges in New Jersey
You may be charged with drunk driving if you are found to be operating a motor vehicle or boat with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 percent or higher. A first DWI offense could lead to severe punishments, such as:
- Jail time of up to 30 days
- Hefty fines and legal fees
- Increased insurance rates
- Driver’s license suspension
- Up to 5 points on your license
- Installation of ignition interlock on your vehicle
It is important to note that New Jersey does not allow plea bargains for DWI charges. If your case goes to trial, your attorney must win your case or get the charges thrown out.
How Can a Defense Attorney Help You?
If you are arrested or charged with a crime, one of the most crucial steps you should take is to immediately contact a Hudson County Criminal Defense Attorney like Anthony Carbone. He will defend your rights by doing the following:
- Investigate your case and collect evidence to build your defense.
- Review the evidence obtained by law enforcement against you.
- Work on getting any illegally-obtained evidence thrown out of the case.
- Present a defense to reduce or eliminate the charges against you.
- Determine whether entering a plea bargain is in your best interest.
- Prepare an aggressive defense if your case goes to trial.
If it is not possible to get your criminal charges reduced or eliminated, attorney Carbone will work toward getting you the lightest sentence possible.
Talk to a Hudson County Criminal Defense Attorney
Anthony Carbone, an expert Hudson County Criminal Defense Attorney, has been defending the rights of criminal defendants for over 3 decades. He is familiar with the criminal court systems and has extensive experience applying various legal strategies to get your charges reduced or eliminated.
With his 30 years of experience, attorney Carbone can guide you through the entire process of clearing your name and record. He will tell you when it is advisable to accept a plea bargain and when to pursue a trial. Contact him today at 201-829-3829 to schedule a consultation.