Can Your Union Help You With Your Legal Case?
Posted November 13th, 2015 by Anthony Carbone, PC.
Categories: Legal Topics.
If you are a member of a trade, professional or labor union, you have benefits not afforded to all workers. Unions help employees not only with collective bargaining, but also with other aspects of employment. Can your union help your case?
Benefits of Belonging to a Union
Most public sector workers, such as a teachers, policemen and firefighters are part of unions. Similarly, many trades have set up union shops. Among these are plumbers, carpenters, electricians and laborers. Professional performers on Broadway, television and motion pictures all have the opportunity to become union members. The benefits include:
- Collective bargaining negotiations
- Fair work conditions
- Health related discounts
- Representation in disciplinary proceedings
- Workplace Safety
Unions and Workplace Safety
Many unions arose because of unhealthy and unsafe workplace environments. Unfortunately, there are still examples of “sweatshops” in modern day society. Without a doubt, these mundane conditions would not be tolerated in a union shop. Union representatives would ensure that workers are not exposed to dangerous conditions, such as the following:
- Functioning in an excessive heat or cold environment
- Working extraordinary hours without the benefit of interim breaks
- Ensuring that working conditions are in compliance with OSHA regulations
- Operating dangerous equipment that is improperly maintained
- Working with deleterious substances without knowledge of their dangers
Unions and on the Job Injuries
If you are a union worker and injured on the job, you will want to make sure that your union representative is apprised of your accident. There are many ways a union representative may act as an advocate for an injured employee. These include:
- Ensuring proper investigation of the work-related accident
- Demanding intervention from the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), as appropriate
- Working with your employer concerning job and status protection
- Ensuring that no retribution occurs as a result of the injured employee seeking benefits
How We Can Help
At the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone, we recognize the significance of unions as a part of the American labor force. We are happy to work with your union in pursuit of your personal injury claim. Contact us to discuss the particulars of your case, so that we may advocate on your behalf.