What Happens When You Are Charged With a DUI as Your First Offense

Posted March 3rd, 2017 by .

Categories: Criminal Defense.

DUI in New Jersey anthony carboneYou had a few drinks at the party. No big deal, you were just a little tipsy when you decided to go home. However, you misjudged a turn and hit the curb. A police car saw the incident and pulled you over. The next thing you know you’re being arrested for DUI. This is your first offense. What does the future hold for you?

Getting arrested can be a frightening experience, especially if this is the first time you had to deal with the criminal court system. And a DUI can be difficult to fight against, especially if you don’t have an experienced criminal defense attorney by your side to help you. But here are a few things you need you need to know before standing before the judge:

  • The penalty for a DUI offense for a first-time offender is a fine between $250 and $500, license suspension from three months to a year, jail for up to 30 days, and the possibility of an ignition interlock device being placed on your car. You may also have to do community service. You will also be expected to pay several fees such as a Motor Vehicle Restoration Feel, an Intoxicated Driver Program fee, and state and municipality fees.
  • New Jersey has an implied consent law. This means if you had refused to submit to a chemical test, you will be fined and your license would be suspended for seven months.
  • You may have to participate in an Intoxicated Driver Resource program. And if you’re underage and don’t have a license, there may be a six-month delay in getting your license.

Is it possible to plea to a lesser charge? Afraid not. The New Jersey Supreme Court has created specific rules that prohibit plea bargaining in DUI cases. This is why it’s important to get a good attorney when facing a DUI charge, so your punishment is not as severe as it can be.

If you were arrested for drunk driving in New Jersey, get help today. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone for a free consultation.


Share this Post

Questions about your criminal defense case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat