Questions for Attorney Carbone: I’m a Crime Victim. Now What?

Posted February 27th, 2017 by .

Categories: Personal Injury.

crime victim injury law offices of anthony carboneQuestion: While I was out at the club with a few friends of mine, I got into a fight with another girl. Before things could escalate, I backed away and tried to leave but this woman would not let it go. She attacked me. By the time the security guards were able to break up the fight, she had cut me pretty deep with a shard of a broken bottle. I had to go to the hospital and get stitches. The woman was arrested and is now awaiting trial. Is there a way I can get help with the medical bills?

Answer: When you are a crime victim in New Jersey that resulted in an injury, mental trauma, or even a death, there is help available. The New Jersey Victims of Crime Compensation Office assists all crime victims with the costs related to injuries that they received in a violent crime. Some of the expenses the VCCO can help you with include mental health counseling; loss of wages; medical expenses; dependent and child care; funeral expenses of up to $5,000; and attorney fees.

However, you must qualify for financial help. Here are the requirements:

  • You’re a New Jersey resident or the crime occurred in the state
  • You have financial losses as a result of the injuries you received as part of certain crimes
  • The crime was reported to the police within three months and you submitted an application within two years
  • You cooperated with the police and the prosecutor’s office
  • You or your immediate family member have incurred losses as a result of the crime
  • Insurance and other payment sources will not completely cover your expenses
  • You did not contribute to the injuries, provoke the incident, or responsible for the crime

To see if you’re eligible, click here.

But that’s not the only option available to you. In your case, you may have a premises liability case against the bar for not preventing the accident in the first place. According to New Jersey’s dram shop laws, the establishment is responsible to not only keep its customers safe from harm but also to not serve those customers who are visibly intoxicated. We strongly suggest that you contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to go over your legal options.

If you were injured after a crime, we can help you get the compensation that you deserve. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.

Share this Post

Questions about your personal injury case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!