What happens if you slip and fall on government property

Posted December 30th, 2013 by .

Categories: Slip and Falls.

We’ve talked a lot about what happens when you slip and fall on public and private property. But let’s say you are going into the post office to buy some stamps and you slip and fall on a puddle of water in the lobby. The post office is owned by the government but they are just as responsible for keeping the area clean, right?

Yes. In this case, a government employee is negligent by not keeping the lobby clean and that negligence led to your accident. But filing a claim against the government is not much easier than it is when you file a claim against your neighbor. There are strict rules you must follow in order to file a claim successfully. Before you can sue, you must file a formal notice of injury with the government entity responsible. The information must have:

  •  your name and address
  • date of injury
  • a summary of what happened
  • a statement claiming the government was negligent
  • a description of your injuries
  • and a description of your medical bills and financial losses

There is a limit on how much you will receive if you win your claim. Usually it’s a very low amount, generally under $100,000. Plus you need to prove that the government is responsible for your injury. It is imperative you report the incident immediately to the personal in charge of the property. Pictures of your injury and the accident scene is essential.

Did you have a slip and fall accident? Let us help you! Contact us today and read this for more information on what to do after an accident.

Share this Post

Questions about your slip and fall accident case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat