If I’m Hurt at Work, How Can I Pay for Child Support?

Posted March 23rd, 2016 by .

Categories: Family Law, Workers Compensation.

workers compensation child support anthony carboneAs required by your divorce agreement, you must pay child support to your ex-spouse. You’ve paid it every month without fail. However, one day at work, you get into an accident that breaks your spine. You are now paralyzed from the waist down and cannot return to your former job. Workers’ compensation has covered all your medical bills and living expenses, but your child support has been coming from your savings. With your savings now depleted, you begin to get concerned — how will you pay for child support? You’ve tried to talk to your ex-spouse about it; however, your ex is currently unemployed and has been relying on that money to make sure your child is taken care of. What should your next steps be?

Unfortunately, even if you’re out of work, you are still required to make your child support payments. If you don’t then you can get in trouble with the law. Workers’ compensation only pays you a partial payment of your paycheck. However, since your financial situation has changed, you are able to petition the court for a temporary or permanent reduction in child support payments.

But what happens if you don’t file this petition and just decide not to pay? Other than the legal problems you soon will be facing, you can say goodbye to your workers’ compensation. Yes, your workers’ compensation can be reduced or taken away entirely in order to pay for child support. This is why it’s best to speak with a lawyer about these matters and see how you can reduce the amount you owe.

Does this scenario sound familiar? For 35 years, the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone has been handling workers’ compensation and child support cases across New Jersey. If you have a legal issue and need help, don’t delay. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.

Share this Post

Questions about your family law case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat