Question for Attorney Carbone: I Was Injured by a Hit and Run Driver! Who Can I Sue?

Posted May 1st, 2017 by .

Categories: Auto Accidents.

hit and run accident law offices of anthony carboneQuestion: While driving to work one morning, I was in a car accident. Not only was my car totaled, but I sustained major injuries. The other driver sped away right after the accident so I was unable to exchange any information. Unfortunately, the police have yet to find the driver of the other vehicle. How can I sue to recoup my expenses?

Answer: According to New Jersey law, if you get into a car accident, you must stop, call the police, and exchange information with the other driver. However, this doesn’t always happen and you will be left with a huge bill to pay. Fortunately, there is help.

Before we go into specifics on filing a claim, let’s explain what you should do in the case of a hit and run accident. Make sure you get as much information as you can about the accident and that means witness testimony, photographs of the accident scene, and any police reports. Any information you can get can help the police in their search for the other driver.

In the case of a hit and run accident, you are probably eligible for uninsured motorist benefits that fall under your auto insurance policy. You also may qualify for benefits under your Personal Injury Protection benefits. But let’s say you don’t have these benefits.

But let’s say you don’t have these benefits or you don’t receive enough from the insurance company. Now how will you pay your bills? One way is to file a claim with the New Jersey’s Unsatisfied Claim and Judgement Fund (UCJF). This fund will assist you if there is no other coverage available to you. However, you have to make sure you’re eligible for the claim. You must notify the agency within 180 days of the date of the accident. You also have to be insured at the time of the accident and it occurred in New Jersey.

Another avenue you can take is to sue your insurance company to pay for the damages. However, we strongly suggest if you plan on pursuing a personal injury to contact an experienced car accident attorney to help you through the process. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.

Share this Post

Questions about your auto accident case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!