I’ve changed my mind about divorce

Posted November 22nd, 2013 by .

Categories: Family Law.

You and your spouse have decided to get divorced. You started with paperwork and are now waiting to hear your court date. But you’re starting to get along again with your spouse. Soon, you realize divorce is a mistake. You don’t want this! Can it be stopped?

Actually, withdrawing your complaint is a relatively simple process. First, make sure your spouse is on the same wavelength as you. If you both decide that you want to give your marriage another chance, you can follow these simple guidelines:

If your spouse hasn’t received the paperwork yet – You should call the sheriff to tell him you don’t the paperwork to be served. Then wait three months. After that time, New Jersey will consider this a “failure to prosecute” and you will receive a letter from the court says the judge about dismisses the case. Just write a letter to the court giving consent to dismiss.

If your spouse has received paperwork – We will need to prepare a stipulation of dismissal, which states that you’re asking the court to dismiss the case “without prejudice,” in case down the road you decide that things aren’t working and you want a divorce after all. Sign the stipulation and make sure your spouse does as well. File it with the court and it will be dismissed.

Still, want to get a divorced? Let us help you! We have over 25 years of experience in family law. Contact us today!


Share this Post

Questions about your family law case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat