Getting into a truck accident has devastating consequences. Your life and your family’s lives will be changed forever. Nine times out of ten, you will have serious injuries to contend with which could take years to heal. That means a mountain of debt could easily pile up in the form of medical bills and property damage. And being out of work means there will be no end in sight to the bills. This is why it’s essential to get an experienced truck accident lawyer to help you with your case.
For almost 30 years, Jersey City truck accident lawyer Anthony Carbone has been fighting for their clients against the insurance companies after a truck crash. We understand the financial, emotional, and mental strain this accident has put on you and your family’s lives. This is why we will not rest until a successful outcome occurs in your case.
Why Are Truck Accidents So Dangerous and Severe?
Trucks can be pretty intimidating on the roadways. At around 50,000 pounds, a tractor trailer is 16 times the weight of an average passenger car. And the bigger the vehicle is, the more damage it can inflict. It takes a longer time for a truck to stop than a passenger vehicle, and if the truck is unable to stop in time, a crash will occur. A collision with an 18-wheeler can not only cause serious injury to the car’s occupants, but death is also a likelihood.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association, in 2015 the number of truck accidents from the prior year saw an 8 percent increase in fatal crashes. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found in 2012 that there were 333,000 large trucks involved in traffic accidents. Of those accidents, 3,921 people were killed and 104,000 people were injured.
What Can Cause a Truck Accident?
There can be several factors involved in a truck accident. The top three causes are:
- Driver Error – In order to drive a big rig in New Jersey, you need special training. Trucks are not only a mode of transportation — but driving one is someone’s profession. And if the driver is careless, such as speeding down the highway or falling asleep behind the wheel, then chaos can occur. According to the FMCSA, this is the number one reason for most accidents by a large margin.
- Mechanical Error – This can include the truck does not receive proper maintenance or a defect in the truck such as brake failure.
- Environmental Reasons – Such as slick roadways caused by bad weather.
Who is Responsible for Your Jersey City Truck Accident?
If you are involved in an accident with a truck, your first question is to identify potential defendants. It could a number of people involved, depend on the answers to these questions:
- Trucking company – Who owns the truck?
- Big rig operator – Who was driving the vehicle?
- Leaseholder – Was the truck leased?
- Vehicle manufacturer – Was the accident due to a manufacturing error?
- Trucking maintenance company – Was there a problem with maintenance that caused the crash?
- Loading company – Did a third party load or unload the truck?
- Other parties – Did someone cut off the truck driver and cause the accident? Who else might be responsible for the crash?
In order to determine liability, our New Jersey truck accident lawyer will conduct an investigation. However, you can be your best advocate. Make sure to take photographs and secure a copy of the police report. Try to get names of any witnesses. When you are recording information, write down any names that appear in the truck cab and the trailer itself. Learn what your next steps should be following a truck accident.
Can I Sue?
New Jersey is a “no-fault” state. This means if you get into an accident with another car, blame is not assigned to either party and your insurance company will pay for the damage. In order to submit a claim in an auto accident case, your accident has to meet certain requirements such as the severity of your injuries.
However, this is not the case when it comes to a truck accident. No matter how minor your injury may be, you can sue both the truck driver and the truck company to pay for your injuries. You can receive the following damages:
- Medical damages – This means the truck driver and his/her carrier will be responsible for paying any medical expenses not covered by insurance.
- Property damages – This can include your vehicle.
- Physical injury – This is any major injuries you may have received because of the accident, like a spinal injury or a head trauma.
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death – If a loved one had lost his/her life in the accident, the family can sue for wrongful death.
Injured? Call Our Truck Accident Attorney in Jersey City Today
Finding the right truck accident lawyer in Jersey City for you can be confusing and frustrating, but you should not feel limited because you cannot afford an attorney’s fees. At the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone, we provide legal assistance to individuals at no cost unless you collect compensation from your truck accident. We offer a free initial consultation during which you can learn about Jersey City personal injury attorney Anthony Carbone and ask some of your most pressing questions.
If you are in Jersey City or Hudson County in New Jersey and have been the victim of a truck accident, contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation. Hablamos Espanol.