How do I know my relationship will become abusive?
It’s a fact: Domestic violence can happen to any relationship. If you have never been in an abusive relationship, you have probably asked why the victim of such a relationship never got out or seen it come. Unfortunately, these relationships are never easy to escape. Sometimes it’s because love, usually it’s out of fear, and the abuser can manipulate the victim into thinking there’s no help for him/her.
Although abuse can come out of nowhere, there are common warning signs that you can see when you enter into a relationship. These signs include:
- The abuser wants to rush into a relationship. One day you’re dating, a month later he/she wants to get engaged.
- The abuser may be too good to be true. For instance, you are constantly showered with gifts and compliments.
- The abuser could become very controlling and makes you limit your time with friends and family
- The abuser criticizes your appearance or puts you down frequently.
- The abuse can become extremely jealous.
So what can you do if your significant other suddenly exhibits these signs? Although these signs don’t necessarily mean your relationship is about to become abusive, they should make you stop and consider your relationship. Especially before it’s too late.
And always remember there is help for domestic violence victims. You can get a restraining order and find help from an outside organization. If you are in need of the restraining order, please contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone, PC. We have been handling domestic violence cases for more than 25 years and we know how to help you in this situation. Contact us today for a free consultation.