Homeowner’s Insurance 101: How MedPay Coverage Protects You in NJ

Posted March 15th, 2019 by .

Categories: Premises Liability.

homeowner medpay coverage law offices of anthony carboneIt’s Friday night, and your son asks if he can have a few friends over for the weekend. You agree as long as they keep the hijinks down to the bare minimum. That night, while you’re settling in for the night, you hear a crash in the living room. You run out to see one of your son’s friends on the floor holding his arm and grimacing. You call the boy’s mother then take him to the hospital.

Now here is the question – who will pay for the medical bill?

You might be surprised to learn that you’ll be responsible. Or rather, your homeowner’s insurance is. Let’s break it down.

MedPay Coverage in Your Homeowners Insurance Policy

In any standard homeowners insurance policy, there is a clause for medical payments coverage or MedPay. This coverage will pay for any medical expenses that occur when someone is injured on your property as long as that individual chooses not to file a lawsuit against you.

In a standard home insurance policy, your medical payments coverage will pay approximately $1,000 per injured person. However, you do have the ability to extend this coverage to a more significant amount if you feel you need extra protection.

There are specific injuries that will not be covered under standard MedPay:

  • The transmission of a communicable disease, such as the flu or a common cold
  • Physical, mental, or sexual abuse
  • An injury occurred through the sale, manufacture, or distribution of a controlled substance

But What If the Friend’s Mother Sue?

Going back to the scenario above, if the parents of your son’s friend decided not to sue you for the injury, your homeowner’s insurance will be paying the medical cost. But what if the parents do decide to sue? What happens then?

According to premises liability law, you are responsible for any injuries that occur on your private property. However, the law is a little different when it comes to private property owners as opposed to commercial property owners.

First, private property has a different set of responsibilities depending on the injured victim. Using the case above, the person is an invitee to your property and receives the highest level of protection. Since you failed to protect their child from harm, the parents have the right to sue since you failed in your responsibility to protect their child, but don’t worry, the personal injury coverage of your homeowner’s insurance will pay for the accident claim.

How the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone Can Help

For 30 years, the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone has been helping homeowners across New Jersey with insurance and personal injury claims. We can help you with your lawsuit and will fight on your behalf with the insurance company.

The time to act is now. Contact personal injury attorney Anthony Carbone today at 201-829-3805 for a free consultation!

Share this Post

Questions about your premises liability case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat