Megan’s Law: How Can You Get Off the Online Registry?

Posted September 12th, 2016 by .

Categories: Criminal Defense.

megans-list-getting-off-the-registry-anthony-carboneLast blog, we explained how someone can get on the Online Sex Offender Registry in New Jersey. Now comes the important question: Is there a way you can get off it?

As we’ve explained, Megan’s Law is beneficial to law enforcement when it comes to preventing any repeat sexual crimes. But let’s say you were convicted of a sex crime as a juvenile more than 20 years ago. You served your time, have registered with the police once you left prison, and haven’t committed another crime since. You’ve learned your lesson and have gotten the treatment needed. Should you continue to be punished for a mistake you made many years ago?

It is possible to get off the registry, as long as the following is true about your case:

  • It’s been 15 years since the crime occurred
  • If you have only committed one offense
  • You haven’t committed an offense since your conviction
  • You can prove that you are not likely to pose a threat to others

In addition, if you were a juvenile sex offense, you can also apply to be removed from the registry if you were under the age of 14 at the time of the offense but now you’re over the age of 18.

So what is the process of removal? You need to petition the court to have your name removed. At that time, the court will consider the above criteria before making a decision. If the court decides to grant your petition, then the order will be sent to the state which will remove your information from the registry. If the court denies your petition, you will have to wait a full year before filing a new petition.

Any time you have to deal with the court system, especially when it comes to Megan’s Law issues, it’s best to get a lawyer to help you with your situation. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.

Share this Post

Questions about your criminal defense case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat