Be Safe This New Year’s Eve in Jersey City, NJ. Do Not Drink and Drive!
The holiday season is finally coming to an end. As we bid our farewell to 2017, many of us have plans to go out and celebrate the beginning of the new year. With all the celebrations come high levels of alcohol consumption, and that means there’s going be an increase in drunk driving incidents.
According to a study from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, 89 percent of drivers find it unacceptable to be behind the wheel while drunk, yet 14 percent of drivers admit to driving their vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. So even with the best intentions in mind, we still get behind the wheel after having too much to drink. And that leads to DUIs and major accidents that can be life-threatening.
We get it; you want to celebrate the new year. But there are ways you can celebrate without driving while drunk. We have compiled a list of things you should do instead of getting behind the wheel this weekend:
- Don’t drink or limit yourself: This is an obvious one. But you don’t need to get drunk to have a good time.
- Have a designated driver: If you are going out with a group of friends, make sure one stays sober for the evening. And don’t forget to say thank you by buying them a soda or lemonade (no alcohol!).
- Walk home: You may stumble, but at least you won’t hurt anyone else.
- Call a taxi, Uber, or Lyft: Instead of driving yourself, just pick up your phone to order your ride. Just don’t fall asleep inside.
- Use public transit: Take the bus. It may not be the most glamorous way of travel, but it will get you where you need to go.
- Stay home: Why go out when you can drink at home just as well as drinking somewhere else? The only walking you have to do is to your bed.
- Stay over: Instead of going home after the night is over, see if your friends are willing to put you up for the night. Or “accidentally” fall asleep in the spare room.
We hope everyone has a wonderful and safe New Year’s Eve celebration! If you need legal advice in 2018, don’t forget to give the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone a call. We are here to fight for your rights.