It’s a crime that no one wants to talk about. You feel ashamed, embarrassed, and anxious to discuss the matter out in the open. But sexual assault is more common than you think. And no matter how you feel, it’s a serious crime and you need to come forward to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
If you have been sexually assaulted, then you need an experienced lawyer who can understand your pain and will aggressively pursue legal action against the person who committed the crime. For nearly 30 years, the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone has handled cases such as these and is there to help you get the justice you deserve.
What is Aggravated Sexual Assault?
In New Jersey, aggravated sexual assault is defined when one party commits an act of sexual penetration with another person without consent. It is considered a first-degree crime and carries a hefty punishment. The offender can receive a sentence of up to 20 years in prison and be placed on the sex offender registry. But to win your case, you will need to prove that there was penetration involved. It’s not something you want to discuss, which is why you need an attorney who can handle a sensitive situation like this.
What You Should Do If You’ve Been Sexually Assaulted
Sexual assault knows no gender. According to a 2012 report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men have reported rape sometime in their lives. In addition, approximately 1 in 20 men and women have experienced some sort of sexual violence such as sexual coercion or unwanted sexual contact.
If you have been assaulted, The Safe Helpline offers the following tips:
- Find a safe location and call 911.
- If you can’t leave the scene of the crime, do not touch or remove anything from the surroundings.
- Although you may feel the urge to do so, do not bathe, eat, wash any part of your body, or smoke. Doing so may erase important evidence.
- Take a moment to write down what you remember of the event, as painful as it may be. This will help you later in court.
- Seek medical care as soon as you can. Even if you have no injuries, you may be at risk of getting an STD or, if you’re a woman, you may get pregnant.
And most importantly, call the Law Offices of Antony Carbone as soon as you’re able. We’ve handled sensitive cases such as domestic abuse and sexual assault for nearly 30 years and know how to get you the justice you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation. Now serving clients in Jersey City, Newark, Hoboken and surrounding areas.