Slip and Falls in NJ: Private vs. Commercial Properties

When you have any type of personal injury that requires medical treatment, it can be a stressful situation. Medical bills stack up rather quickly. You lose days at work which means a loss of wages. If the injuries are severe, then you are facing physical therapy and other types of medical treatments for months, even years to come. It’s a terrible time in your life and if someone is responsible for your accident, you’re going to want to file a claim against that person.

But what if the accident is a slip and fall on private property? Can you still sue the property owner for your injuries? Slip and fall laws in New Jersey are very specific about who can be sued depending on where the accident was located. It all depends on whether the property was a private resident or commercial.

Slip and Fall Laws in New Jersey

Let’s say you have a slip and fall accident on a neighbor’s property. The injury was quite severe. Can you sue your neighbor for damages?

According to New Jersey law, if you have an accident on a single-family property, the property owner cannot be held liable for your accident. Why not? Because unlike a commercial property, where the owner and staff can be held responsible, a single-family property owner does not have a duty to keep the area safe for visitors. The commercial property’s purpose is to create a profit and because of this, it is the responsibility of that property owner as well as the employees to make sure the area is safe for its customers. A single-family property owner does not have the same responsibility and therefore, is not responsible for your accident.

However, it’s a different story when it comes to a slip and fall accident in an apartment building, condo complex, or any other type of multi-family dwelling in New Jersey. Yes, the residents are not responsible for any accidents on the property. Yet, the same cannot be said for the owner of the multi-family property. Since the owner is getting a profit from those living in the building or complex, the owner and any managers of the property are responsible for keeping the area safe. So if you have a slip and fall accident while visiting a friend at his/her apartment complex, you can sue the property owner for liability.

Contact Jersey City Slip and Fall Attorney Anthony Carbone Today

If you have a slip and fall accident in Jersey City, it’s important to know the slip and fall laws in New Jersey. And the best way to know your legal options is to contact an experienced Jersey City attorney who has fought for many accident victims across the state. Contact New Jersey slip and fall attorney Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation. We will help you with your claim.

Questions about your case?

We can help! With a proven track record, a strong work ethic, and extensive knowledge of the law, you cannot go wrong when you choose The Law Offices of Anthony Carbone.

    Live Chat
    Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

    Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

      Back to Top
      Live Chat