Question for Jersey City Attorney Carbone: A Slip and Fall Aggravated an Old Injury. Can I Sue?

Posted January 9th, 2017 by .

Categories: Slip and Falls.

slip and fall aggravating injury anthony carboneQuestion: I shattered the bones in my leg after getting into a car accident about 10 years ago. It took months for me to recover but I’m now able to walk with a slight limp and no pain. However, I was walking into the store over the weekend and slipped on a water puddle and fell. Although I didn’t break any bones and just bruised my ego, the accident did aggravate my old injury. Is it possible that I can sue the store for re-injuring my leg?

Answer: The blustery and snowy weekend has passed and it caused havoc for most of our state. Accidents were reported up and down the New Jersey Turnpike. Icy roads and bridges were reported near the Philadelphia area. Although we got about five inches here in North Jersey, the shore and South Jersey got almost a foot of snow.

Right now we’re suffering from some frigid temperatures but warmer weather is coming our way later this week. And that means you guessed, a high risk of slip and fall accidents throughout our area. We thought this would be the perfect question to answer on a day like today!

In a case like this, there is a possibility that you can sue for aggravating your old leg injury. Although you will be facing a challenge. You will need to prove that the prior injury was stable or asymptomatic at the time of your slip and fall. You will also have to prove that the slip and fall were the cause for the re-injury. This is why it’s important to get medical attention after an accident such as this because a medical professional can tell you for sure if the slip and fall accident caused the pain.

Also remember, the employees of the store need to have known about the puddle before the accident occurred and did nothing to fix the problem. That means there were no warning signs and not attempts to clean up the danger before the accident.

Pursuing this claim on your own can be next to impossible. What you are going to need is an experienced personal injury lawyer who has experience in these types of cases. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today if you have a similar claim.

Share this Post

Questions about your slip and fall accident case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat