Slip and Fall Injury? Follow These Steps
You may think a slip and fall accident is nothing more than a clumsy action that makes you look more foolish than feeling pain. But in reality, a slip and fall could change your life. You could be facing a mounting debt as medical bills pile up. You may lose your job because of all the time you took off. You may deal with chronic pain for the rest of your life. And what may be worse is the accident would never have occurred if the property owner had taken the time to keep his/her property safe.
But there is an option if you receive an injury on someone’s property following a slip and fall. You may be able to file a claim against the property owner and gain compensation for your injuries. A successful lawsuit can pay your medical bills, make up for lost wages, and help you regain your life. These lawsuits can be extremely complex and what you do following an accident is vital to any possible litigation you may have in the future.
Five Steps to a Successful Slip and Fall Claim
- Step 1: Seek Medical Attention. Your first step is to get the medical help you need. Not only do you need immediate care, but you need the doctor to document all your injuries and the cause of those injuries. The medical records are a vital piece of evidence.
- Step 2: Report the Accident to the Property Owner. You need to make a report with the property owner about the accident. Failing to inform the property owner can severely damage your case. Ask that the report is written out and make sure you get a copy for your records.
- Step 3: Document Everything. It’s crucial that you have a record of everything that happened. Write down your statement about the accident. Include important details such as the date and time, the conditions of the location, and what you were doing before the slip and fall. Try to get the contact information of all witnesses. If you can, take pictures of not only the scene of the accident but the photos of all the injuries you sustained.
- Step 4: Keep Quiet. Following the accident, the property owner or the owner’s insurance company may attempt to contact you for a statement. Whatever you do, don’t say a word. Instead, let them know that you refuse to make a statement until you speak with an attorney. And whatever you do, don’t place blame on either yourself or the other party.
- Step 5: Call the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone. Finally, if you decide to pursue legal action against the property owner, you need to pick up the phone and contact an experienced slip and fall attorney. We will provide you with your legal options and negotiate a settlement on your behalf.
Slip and Fall Injury? Let Us Help!
At the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone, we have spent 30 years helping slip and fall victims throughout New Jersey with their legal needs. We can assist you in filling out the proper paperwork and will speak to the insurance company on your behalf.
Don’t go at this alone. If you received an injury following a slip and fall accident, now is the time to act. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.