Slip and Fall Accidents on Government Property

nj-slip-and-fall-govnerment-propertyWhen you have a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, the responsibility for the accident is normally the property owner’s. But what happens when you slip and fall on government property? Who is responsible?

When you have an accident on a government property, you can file suit against the government entity responsible. But it can be tricky to file a personal injury claim against the government, especially on your own. That’s why you should contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone immediately. For more than 26 years, our experienced slip and fall attorney has been handling all types of slip and fall accidents and is ready to help you get the compensation that you deserve.

Causes of a Slip and Fall Accident on Government Property

Some of the common causes of a slip and fall accident on government property such as a building or sidewalk can be:

  • Ice or snow
  • Garbage or debris
  • Broken pieces of the sidewalk
  • Slippery mats
  • Floors that had just been mopped

Proving Who is Responsible for Your Slip and Fall

Let’s say you’re walking down a city sidewalk when you slip on a patch of black ice and fall. Who is responsible for the accident? It all depends on the location of the accident. If you had slipped on a sidewalk in front of a private residence, then it was the responsibility of the property owner to keep the area clean. But if the accident happened in a public area or in front of a government building, say on the steps leading to the courthouse, then you have a case against the municipality.

But be aware — filing a personal injury claim against the government is not much easier than it is when you file a claim against your neighbor. There are strict rules you must follow in order to file a claim successfully. First be aware of your deadlines. Unlike a personal injury case against individuals, where you have two years to file a claim, you only have 90 days after the accident to file a claim against a government agency. Also you have to be very aware of which agency get the claim; filing a claim against the wrong government entity will have your case dismissed.

Before you can sue, you must file a formal notice of injury with the government entity responsible. The information must have:

  •  your name and address
  • date of injury
  • a summary of what happened
  • a statement claiming the government was negligent
  • a description of your injuries
  • and a description of your medical bills and financial losses

There is a limit on how much you will receive if you win your claim. Plus you need to prove that the government is responsible for your injury. It is imperative you report the incident immediately to the personal in charge of the property. Pictures of your injury and the accident scene is essential.

Did you have a slip and fall accident? For the past 26 years, Jersey City slip and fall lawyer Anthony Carbone has a proven track record of successfully getting the compensation you need after such an accident. If you live in Jersey City, Newark, Union City, or anywhere in New Jerseycontact us for a free consultation.

Have questions about your slip and fall accident case?

We can help! With a proven track record, a strong work ethic, and extensive knowledge of the law, you cannot go wrong when you choose The Law Offices of Anthony Carbone.

    Live Chat
    Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

    Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

      Back to Top
      Live Chat