Summertime Safety Tips, Part 1: Watch Out When at the Beach
Posted June 3rd, 2016 by Anthony Carbone, PC.
Categories: Personal Injury.
It’s that time again! With the temperatures reaching the 70s and 80s, our minds are turning to summer fun. Like we’ve done last year, the Law Office of Anthony Carbone wants to make sure you play it safe this time of year. There are a lot of hidden dangers you may not know about in the summertime and we want you to be well aware of any risks that may be out there. And as always, if you do run into any problems and need some legal advice, we’re here to take your call!
Although this weekend may be a washout, you may be thinking of heading down to the shore sometime this summer. And who doesn’t love the beach? The smell of the ocean, the warm sand under your feet, the skimpy bathing suits…as well as the crowds and the carelessness of others. Many of us don’t think of beach safety when we go out on the sand, but it’s best to know that there are laws in New Jersey that make sure you’re protected in case someone is negligent while on the beach, such as a lifeguard not paying attention to those in the water.
Here’s a few things to keep in mind before heading out to the beach this summer:
- Keep an eye out for your children or family members when they’re in the water, even close to the beach. All it takes is a strong wave to knock them over.
- Watch out for any sea animals or aquatic plants. They can be dangerous and cause a serious injury.
- A rip current can be dangerous and rather scary. If you get caught up in one, stay calm, don’t fight it and swim parallel to the shore until you are out of the current.
- Stay at least 100 yards away from piers and jetties. There are permanent rip currents around these areas.
- Always check the conditions of the ocean before heading to the beach. If there are warning flags, you may want to skip the trip today.
- Alert the lifeguard to any problems, especially if there is someone in trouble in the water.
If you get in to trouble while at the beach, you may need legal help. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.