Weekend Safety Tips, Part 10 – Watch Out for Pedestrians!
It’s going to be a nice weekend here in Jersey City and a lot of people will be out and about to take advantage of wonderful weather. But with a lot of people walking around on our city streets, the possibility of a pedestrian accident increases.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, pedestrian accidents have been on the rise for some time now. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 4,743 pedestrians were killed in a traffic accident in 2012 and 76,000 were injured. In fact, the CDC states that pedestrians are one and a half times more likely to be killed in a car crash than a vehicle’s passenger.
We want everyone out there to be safe this summer. And in continuing effort to keep your summer injury free, the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone would like to offer some safety tips to avoid getting into a pedestrian accident if you plan to walk on the streets:
- Always follow the rules of the road when you are walking. They don’t just apply to vehicles.
- Stay on sidewalks when available. When not available, walk facing traffic as far off the road as you can.
- Stay alert! Keep your eyes off your phone and on the road instead.
- Look for cars in all directions, even at one ways.
- Cross at crosswalks, not between cars.
- Wear bright clothing, especially at nighttime.
- And never assume that the driver sees you. Try to make eye contact if you can.
If you are involved in a pedestrian accident, we’re here to help! Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.