Weekend Safety Tips, Part 9 – Be Careful Around That Pool!
August has arrived with a bang and it’s going to be a hot one this weekend! With temperatures reaching the 90s, you may be thinking of ways you and your family can stay cool this weekend. The easiest solution, other than staying in an air conditioned house for the weekend, is to head to the local pool for a quick dip. But as we all know that community pool can do more than cool you off.
We all know about the dangers of chlorine exposure at your pool but that’s not the only threats pools hold. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, approximately 300 children age 5 or younger drown in pools each year. In addition, more than 3,000 children of that age visit the emergency room due to non-fatal submersion injuries, which can cause permanent damage and even brain injuries.
We want everyone out there to be safe this summer. And in continuing effort to keep your summer injury free, the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone would like to offer some safety tips from the CPSC before stepping into a pool:
- Always keep an eye on your child when he/she is either in or near the pool
- Keep your children away from pool drains, pipes or any other openings that could entrap a child
- Teach your child how to swim. If you don’t know how to swim, it’s never too late to learn yourself!
- Make sure there’s a lifeguard on duty
- If you have your own pool, make sure you keep the area secure. Install a fence and possibly an alarm that will alert you when your child goes near the pool
Stay safe this weekend and if you need legal assistance, please contact The Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.