What Happens When You Get a Traffic Violation in Another State

Posted January 12th, 2016 by .

Categories: Criminal Defense.

traffic violations from another state anthony carboneThe cold is finally upon us.  Some may pack up their cars and start heading south.  Their routes may say goodbye to New Jersey via the Turnpike or the Garden State Parkway.  Does this sound like a plan as winter approaches?  Be mindful.  How will traffic violations in other states affect your New Jersey license?

Red Light and Speeding Cameras

It was only last year that the legislature ruled out the continuation of red light cameras in certain intersections.  Vehicle owners have issued tickets if their cars were caught on video sliding past the red light.  However, certain states have both red light and speeding cameras in place.  You can see a list of these states here and the accompanying penalties.

The New Jersey State Legislature has a bill in committee that seeks to prohibit the release of driver ownership records to other jurisdictions for identification purposes in conjunction with these types of camera tickets.

Points from Other Jurisdictions

Just because your traffic violation occurred in another state, does not mean the information will not show up in New Jersey’s records.  Only a few states do not exchange information across the nation.  Moving violations are of such a concern that New Jersey takes an extra step for out-of-state convictions.  Count on two points added to your license if you are found guilty of one of these offenses.

Traffic Violations Maybe Criminal in Other States

In New Jersey, driving while under the influence is considered a traffic violation unless an accident occurs involving personal injury or death.  Other states are not as lenient in their assessment of traffic violations.  For example, those heading south through Virginia may quickly learn that some traffic offenses can result in a criminal record.  Speed in excess of 80 mph in Virginia is considered reckless driving.  In fact, travelling 20 mph over the posted speed limit is considered criminal.  Both traffic violations could result in a misdemeanor charges.

Travelling through New Jersey from Another State

What happens if you travelling through New Jersey from another state and get ticketed?  Your first inclination may be to just pay the violation through the mail and not worry about the cost.  Keep in mind that New Jersey may exchange information with your state department of motor vehicles.  Will this have an impact on your license in that jurisdiction?

One of our neighboring states is Connecticut.  Although New Jersey and Connecticut exchange information as part of a compact program, Connecticut does not arbitrarily assign its drivers points for out of state motor vehicle convictions.

New York is part of the same compact program but makes exceptions concerning out of state moving violations.  You will lose your New York license for a period of time for a DUI or DWI conviction, even if it did not happen in New York.

Contact Us

Unsure how to handle that traffic ticket?  Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone for experienced legal advice concerning your options.

Share this Post

Questions about your criminal defense case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat