What to Do if You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse

Posted December 30th, 2011 by .

Categories: Personal Injury.

If you think your loved one may be a victim of nursing home abuse, it is important to take action at once to ensure your loved one’s safety moving forward. If possible, try to move your loved one to a different facility where he or she may receive higher quality care.

Unfortunately, it may not always be possible to move your loved one to a different facility. In these cases, it is important to visit regularly to make sure your loved one’s health and safety are not in danger. When you visit, take notes about the warning signs you see. This will help you build your case against the negligent nursing home.

Always record the time and date of your visit along with any other relevant information regarding the potential abuse. This may include:

  • Photos of bruises, cuts, or other injuries
  • Dressings that have not been changed when necessary
  • Dirty undergarments or clothes
  • Evidence of physical trauma
  • Poor hygiene
  • Evidence of unusual behavior

You should also ask the nursing home for copies of your loved one’s medical records. By law, you are entitled to receive this information.

Once you have sufficient evidence, report your suspicions to your local ombudsman as well as the head of the nursing home. You may want to contact the police as well. Most importantly, consult an experienced nursing home abuse lawyer who can help ensure your loved one’s rights are protected.

New Jersey nursing home abuse lawyer Anthony Carbone has been fighting for the rights of nursing home abuse victims for more than 20 years. He can help you hold the negligent nursing home accountable for its actions so that your loved one can receive the proper care moving forward.

Please contact us today to schedule your free initial consultation. Anthony Carbone serves clients in Jersey City and Newark, New Jersey.

Share this Post

Questions about your personal injury case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat