Question for Attorney Carbone: There’s a Warrant for My Arrest. What Do I Do?

Posted September 18th, 2017 by .

Categories: Criminal Defense.

dropping criminal charges law offices of anthony carboneQuestion: I just learned that there’s an arrest warrant out for me. The police haven’t contacted me yet. I’m nervous and I’m not sure why there’s a warrant. What should my next steps be?

Answer: It’s ok to be nervous. An arrest warrant is no laughing matter. But you made the right choice in contacting a criminal defense attorney.

First, you’re going to want to calm down and get your emotions under control. Then follow these steps:

Step 1: It’s important to know what the warrant is, what it type of warrant, and which court has issued it. Either you or your attorney should contact your local police department to find out this information.

Step 2: Once you find out the information about the arrest warrant, you’ll want to call the courthouse where the warrant was issued and speak with the clerk of courts. Let the clerk know that you would like to come in and take care of the situation on your own accord. Ask the clerk when is the best time to come and take care of it.

Step 3: There two types of warrants: bond and non-bond warrants. Bond warrants mean that you can post a bail bond in order to be released from jail. Non-bond warrants, however, means that you cannot post a bond and will have to spend time in jail until the date of your court appearance.

Step 4: As soon as you can, go to the courthouse and pay the clerk any fines that may be involved. By doing this, you may be able to put an end to the situation. However, if the warrant is for a violent crime, such as an assault, it is usually a non-bond warrant and a court appearance may be required before the warrant can go away.

Step 5: Show up to the courthouse the day of your appearance. Remember, it’s important to show up the day of your court date. Otherwise, you could get in serious trouble. Especially if you are out on bail.

If you are facing an arrest warrant, it’s best to speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney right away to help you through the legal process. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone for more information or to schedule a free consultation.

Share this Post

Questions about your criminal defense case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat