Be Cautious of Icy Roads This Winter
We are in the thick of winter, and that means horrendous weather conditions and unsafe road conditions. Slick, black ice has causes hundreds, maybe even thousands, of automobile accidents through New York and New Jersey on an annual basis. According to a report, roadways covered in snow and ice account for nearly 117,000 injuries and an estimated 1,300 people are killed on a year-to-year basis.
For anyone who has learned to drive in the Northeast knows how dangerous black ice can be. Unlike snow, it is hard to determine whether it is present on the roadways. The roadway may just look slick until you start feeling your vehicle slide. You must remember that whenever the roadway looks slick during this time of year, chances are black ice is present somewhere on the roadway.
If you are driving on the road after freezing rain has fallen, be aware that black ice is most-likely present. If you do hit a patch of black ice, keep these tips in mind:
- Remain calm and don’t panic. This can be the worst thing to do. Instead, try to keep the wheel straight and breathe.
- Don’t think about slamming on the brakes. This will cause you to skid. Instead, lift your foot off the accelerator, allowing the car to slow down on its own.
- If your vehicle has the ability, shift to a lower gear to gain more control over the car.
- Try to find an area where there’s more traction, even if it’s a snow-covered area.
- If you do start to skid, stay calm and slowly pump your brakes while steering the car in the direction of the skid.
- If you go off the road, try to hit something that will cause a minimum amount of damage.
Despite the hazardous driving conditions during the winter months, not all winter car accidents can be blamed entirely on the weather. Many crashes could be prevented if motorists would drive with the caution when hazardous driving conditions persist. When drivers ignore those hazardous conditions, they put themselves and other drivers at risk for fatal injuries.
If you do get into a car accident and are injured, you’re going to need an experienced attorney on your side. For nearly three decades, the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone has been handling car accident cases throughout the Garden State. Don’t hesitate. Contact us today for a free consultation.