Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can result in devastating, life-altering injuries and in some cases, even death. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has reported that car accidents are the leading cause of death for people between the ages of 3 and 33.
When the most common causes of car accidents are examined, it becomes clear that drivers are actually the greatest threat to the safety of others sharing the road with them:
- Driver distraction – According to the American Automobile Association (AAA), approximately 25-50% of car accidents are caused by driver distractions. Some of the most common driver distractions include cell phone usage, operation of handheld electronic devices, eating, rubbernecking, adjusting the radio, looking at scenery, and attending to other passengers in the car.
- Driver fatigue – Data from the National Traffic Safety Administration indicates that driver fatigue accounts for approximately 100,000 car accidents every year. Drivers who are fatigued often have a slower reaction time, and they may struggle to maintain control of the vehicle.
- Drunk driving – Drunk driving has been a leading cause of car accidents for many years. Despite increasingly strict DUI laws across the country, this is still a major problem that endangers many others sharing the road with a drunk driver.
- Speeding – Speeding creates a serious safety problem for several reasons. It reduces the amount of time a driver has to avoid a car accident, it increases the risk of a car accident, and it often increases the severity of injuries sustained in a car accident.
- Aggressive Driving – Aggressive driving is a common cause of car accidents. It includes behavior such as tailgating, disregarding traffic signals, unsafe lane changes, and failure to yield the right of way.
- Weather – Bad weather conditions can make driving very difficult. You may experience reduced visibility, and it may be much harder to control your vehicle. As a result, many car accidents are the result of hazardous weather conditions.
If you have been injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another driver, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your damages. New Jersey car accident lawyer Anthony Carbone has been fighting for the rights of car accident victims for more than 20 years, and he has the skills to hold the negligent driver accountable for his actions.
Please contact us today to schedule your free initial consultation. Anthony Carbone serves clients in Jersey City and Newark, New Jersey.