Are you considering a separation in Jersey City, NJ?

Posted January 31st, 2014 by .

Categories: Family Law.

You and your spouse have hit a rough patch. Every discussion seems to turn into an argument lately. But you’re not ready for a divorce yet. Instead, you’ve decided to separate for a while. What are the steps you need to take?

You should consider creating a separation agreement. A separation agreement is basically a contract between you and your partner resolving any issues may have about dividing your property, your debts, and what to do with the children. They are usually the first step on the road to divorce. You don’t have to go to court to create an agreement; however, it is best to get a lawyer involved when dealing with complex issues like finance and child custody.

In New Jersey, there are two types of separation:

  • Legal separation – This is what is described above
  • Divorce from bed and board – This means the couple is still legally married yet are economically divorced. In other words, all assets and debts are divided between the two parties. Generally alimony is not awarded in this case.

Thinking about getting a divorce? Contact Jersey City lawyer Anthony Carbone for a free consultation today. We fight for your rights. For more information on divorce, click here.


Share this Post

Questions about your family law case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat