Do I need a workers compensation attorney?
Posted August 12th, 2020 by Anthony Carbone.
Categories: Workers Compensation.
If you have sustained a work-related illness or injury, you might be wondering whether hiring a workers compensation lawyer is necessary. The answer to this question depends on the general complexity of your case, the seriousness of the injury, and the reaction of your boss or the insurance company. Not all injured employees will require to hire a lawyer. Altogether, the workers compensation process is an administrative system that is designed to be easy for employees to navigate. If your claim is genuine and the employer does not dispute, you can handle the case yourself. However, the process is not that easy. Most workers might need – or can take advantage of – hiring a workers compensation attorney.
When you might represent yourself
Generally, you might be able to handle your case without a lawyer if any of these applies to your case:
- You have no pre-existing conditions that affect the same body parts as your workplace injury.
- You have not missed work because of your injury.
- Your boss does not dispute that the injury is work-related
- The injuries sustained were minor.
Even in such somehow uncomplicated circumstances, it is usually advisable that you contact a worker’s compensation lawyer for a consultation about your claims. Our Hudson County Workers Compensation Attorney from the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone can walk you through the process, inform you concerning the potential drawbacks, and offer an honest assessment of whether you can deal with the case by yourself.
When you need an attorney
If you are still asking yourself, “Do I need a workers compensation attorney?” here are some examples of circumstances that require the intervention of an attorney:
- If your boss disputes your claim or does not pay your compensation promptly: Employers and their insurers often reject workers’ compensation claims because they are confident that many workers will likely not appeal. Hiring a workers compensation lawyer offers you the best opportunity to get a fair settlement for the injuries sustained.
- If the compensation offered by your employer does not cover all your medical boils and lost wages: If you are not certain whether the amount of settlement given by your employer is fair, you should contact an attorney to ensure that you get the best possible settlement. An experienced lawyer can assist you in calculating all aspects of your losses to determine the right amount of compensation you deserve.
- You receive social security disability benefits: If your compensation is not coordinated properly, your benefits might significantly reduce your social security disability benefits. An experienced lawyer understands how to write your settlement agreement to reduce or remove this offset.
- Your employer retaliates against you filing a worker’s compensation claim: If your boss has engaged in any form of discrimination for filing a worker’s compensation claim, talk to a worker’s compensation lawyer immediately to safeguard your rights.
How an attorney will help
Apart from ensuring that you have all the necessary documents in time, an experienced lawyer will understand how to collect evidence required to back your claim, negotiate with the employer and insurance company, and draft a settlement agreement to avoid unexpected consequences.
To learn more about how our attorneys can help you, contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today by calling our offices or filling our online appointment form.