How to Protect Yourself From Health Care Fraud
Although insurance fraud is not a horrific crime like assault or rape, it isn’t a victimless offense. As we’ve mentioned before, New Jersey takes insurance fraud very seriously. If you are the victim of an insurance scam, chances are you will be suffering. Especially when it comes to health insurance fraud.
With Obamacare, millions of Americans now have health insurance. But this doesn’t stop health care providers from defrauding the insurance company. Although the majority of medical professionals are dedicated to making their patients’ health the best it can be, there are a few out there that are more interested in lining their pockets. And many of these victims are unfortunately seniors .
But there are ways to protect yourself from health care fraud, no matter how old you are. Keep these tips in mind:
- Always get medical help from a trusted source. For instance, if your doctor believes you need a specialist, make sure you go to the one he/she refers you to.
- Be rude! If someone is trying to pressure you into providing medical information or buying medical equipment and you don’t know the company, ignore them.
- Always do your research. Someone trying to sell you a “miracle” pill? Check with your doctor or look it up on the Internet first.
- Keep your personal info to yourself. Make sure health care papers are shredded or ripped to piece before thrown away.
- And always follow your instinicts! If it doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t right.
If you are in need of legal help, we are here for you! Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.