Memorial Day: Watch Out for Injuries!
Posted May 21st, 2018 by Anthony Carbone, PC.
Categories: Personal Injury.
Memorial Day is quickly approaching, and that means a three-day weekend filled with grilling, alcohol, family, and friends for many across New Jersey. But, holidays aren’t always fun and games. An apparent risk for injury exists. Luckily, the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone cares about your wellbeing. In today’s blog, we will be talking about the dangers associated with Memorial Day and some safety tips you should keep in mind.
Stats to Keep in Mind for Those Traveling
- 41.5 million Americans will be traveling this holiday weekend
- 36.6 million Americans will travel by road
- Expect travel delays on major roads to be up to three times longer than normal. Thursday and Friday (May 24 – 25) are projected to be the busiest travel days
- INRIX, in collaboration with AAA, predicts the busiest time to travel in the New Jersey/New York region will be Friday, May 25 between 3:30 and 6:30 PM
- AAA expects to rescue more than 340,000 motorists
Causes of Injury on Memorial Day
For the upcoming holiday weekend, there are many instances in which injury can strike. From a legal perspective, there are three causes to watch out for. They include travel, swimming (pools), and grilling.
Let’s start with grilling. Who doesn’t enjoy grilled hamburgers or hot dogs, especially during Memorial Day weekend? However, grills can be quite dangerous. If you are buying a new grill for the upcoming weekend, make sure it works properly before igniting it near your friends and family. You don’t want a faulty fuel valve or leaking gas tank to ruin everyone’s holiday weekend.
On to swimming, specifically swimming pools. For many, Memorial Day marks the first time you can enjoy your pool. But, it also comes along with a higher chance of injury or sometimes even worse – death. Lack of supervision, alcohol use, and increased foot traffic can lead to a variety of injuries or instances of drowning. To avoid a worst-case scenario, make sure the premises are safe, especially when children are near the water.
The biggest cause of injury during the upcoming holiday weekend involves the statistics we mentioned earlier. Travel is the leading cause of injuries and deaths related to Memorial Day. The factors that lead to this include drinking and driving, congested roadways, speeding, and inexperienced holiday drivers. Just one of these factors can lead to a massive accident on the highways of New Jersey. Make sure you are aware of your surroundings when hitting the road.
Let the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone be the first to wish you a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend, but with that in mind, here are some safety tips to remember:
- Clean your grill. Check the tubes leading to the burner for any blockages. Make sure the gas is connected properly and turned off when not in use. Keep any source of open flame away from your grill. Do not use in an enclosed space
- Cut down on alcohol use to reduce the risk of drowning. If you are boating, wear a lifejacket. Make sure children are supervised at all times near any source of water. Don’t swim alone
- Don’t drink and drive or get into a car with someone who has. Make sure you have a first aid kit in your vehicle. Wear your seatbelt and don’t speed. Avoid cell phone use while driving. Always be alert
If you sustain any type of injury during the upcoming holiday weekend, make sure you contact Attorney Anthony Carbone to see if he can secure the compensation you deserve. The consultation is free.