There are more to trucks than just the ones who barrel down the highway in route to their next destination. But sometimes utility trucks, such as garbage trucks or construction vehicles, can be just as dangerous. These types of trucks can be operated by inexperienced workers who haven’t been trained properly. These trucks need a great amount of attention to operate and if the driver is careless, a serious accident can occur.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident with a utility truck, you’ll need an experienced personal injury lawyer. Jersey City attorney Anthony Carbone has been handling cases such as these for more than 26 years and knows how to get the compensation you deserve.
Who is Liable for Your Utility Truck Accident?
After any motor vehicle accident, the question of who is at fault is the hardest to pinpoint. It all comes down to who had acted in a negligent manner that caused injury to another person. In order for the utility truck to be responsible for the accident, the driver:
- Must have failed to operate the truck properly (i.e. drive safely, maintaining control of the vehicle, etc.)
- Drove in a negligent manner, such as speeding, distracted driving, or driving under the influence of alcohol.
- The negligent driving resulted in harm to another person.
Who do I File the Personal Injury Claim Against?
If you got into an accident with a utility truck, you may be wondering who gets the claim. If the vehicle is a municipal truck, such as a garbage truck, then the claim will go to the city. But there are certain rules you need to follow:
- You must give a formal complaint within 90 days
- You must wait six months before filing a lawsuit
- If you can’t reach a settlement, you must file a formal personal injury claim within two years
However, if the vehicle was a company truck, such as the cable company, then the same rules apply as those to filing a claim against an individual.
Know Your Rights! Contact Us Today
If you were seriously injured after an accident involving a utility vehicle, then you need an experienced lawyer by your side. Don’t wait any longer. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation. Now accepting clients in Jersey City, Newark, Bergen County, and throughout New Jersey.