Planning a Divorce? Make Sure You’re Ready
Maybe it’s a new year’s resolution. Or you’re looking for a fresh start in the new year. Maybe you waited for tax reasons or you just can’t take being married anymore. Whatever the case may be, you’ve decided that now is the time to get a divorce. Don’t worry, you’re not alone. There’s something about January that makes everyone start thinking about splitting up. Dubbed as “Divorce Month” by several legal experts and analysts, starting today there will be a large jump in filing for divorce and not just in New Jersey.
At the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone, every year we see a lot of our clients coming in during the month ready to get a divorce and one of the main questions we always ask is, “Are you sure this is what you want to do?” It can take up to a year to finalize the divorce. Not only do you have to worry about what will happen with your children but also the financial cost. Many people don’t realize the time and effort involved in getting a divorce. But here’s a five questions you should answer to know if you are ready:
- Question 1: Do you still have feelings for your partner? If you still have feelings but you’re angry for other reasons, such as mismanagement of finances, maybe you should try to work out the issues first.
- Question 2: Are your emotions playing a part in your decision? If you had a vicious fight and you decide to get a divorce because of it, you may be jumping the gun.
- Question 3: Have you done everything you can to save your marriage?
- Question 4: Are you prepared for a divorce? For instance, do you have all your financial records in order? Do you have a custody or child support plan ready for your children?
- Question 5: Are you willing to work at your marriage and try to fix the issues before going for a divorce?
If you answered the questions and believe that you are ready, then let us help. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.