Rollover car accidents: How do they occur?
Yesterday’s headlines contained a story about a car flipped over on Williams Avenue in Jersey City. According to the news article, the owner of the vehicle did not sustain any significant injuries. Neighbors are quoted as saying the street is known for speeding cars. In this accident, the driver hit a parked car. Is speed the only reason cars vehicles roll over? This type of accident can be deadly or result in serious personal injuries.
The dictionary defines a rollover as “a motor vehicle accident in which the vehicle overturns.” According to Consumer Reports, 30 percent of automobile accident fatality cases are due to vehicles that rolled over. Interestingly, the statistics also show that only 3 percent of accidents are related to rollovers. Speed was not always the culpable factor causing the accident. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration submitted a report that contained these interesting statistics concerning passenger vehicle rollovers:
- Rollovers are higher for light trucks than passenger cars
- SUVs are more likely to roll over than pickup trucks
- Vehicles that were more likely to rollover were passing rather than turning before the crash
- Rollovers were sometimes caused by hitting another vehicle or object such a road embankment
- Speed was often a factor
- ounger men have the most incidences of rollover accidents
What are the factors that might cause a rollover accident? Obviously, speed is a major one. Here are some other known issues:
- Vehicle type: As stated above, light trucks are more liable to end up in rollover accidents. This would include SUVs. The ratio of the wheelbase to the vehicle as well as the vehicle weight is also a consideration. An expert can determine if the design of the vehicle has affected the potential for rollover.
- Road conditions: Slippery roads caused by precipitation are another factor causing rollover accidents.
- Vehicle weight: Overweight vehicles may also throw off the center of gravity in a vehicle. Think vans overloaded with people.
- Defective tires: Tires may be a factor in rollover accidents. When a tire blows out, there in a greater possibility for the driver to lose control of the vehicle.
Any type of accident may cause serious concerns for the victims. At the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone, we recognize that our clients need to heal from their personal injuries. They need an expert to evaluate their claim and ensure that they receive appropriate medical treatment. We offer prospective clients a gratis consultation for all personal injury matters. With over 25 years of experience, we offer authorative advice. Please contact us to schedule an appointment to discuss your case.