It’s Teen Driving Safety Week. How safe is your teen driver?
We all remember how it was to be a teenager getting behind the wheel for the first time. It was our first taste of independence, where you didn’t have to rely on Mom or Dad to drive you where you want to go. It was also your first real role of responsibility. As a parent, you think you’re ready to hand over the keys to your teen. But are you really?
It’s National Teen Driving Safety Week and the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone would like all teen drivers to stay safe on the road. Driving is definitely a privilege and if you’re not careful, that privilege can be taken away. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, teen driving has improved since 2011. However, the numbers are still scary. In 2011, over half of the teen drivers died in fatal accidents. Some of the factors include:
- Distracted driving
- Drinking and driving
- The driver was not wearing a seatbelt
So how can you protect your teen driver once they have a license in hand? AAA has created a contract that teens and parents can use to help teens to stay safe on the road and to give parents some peace of mind. It’s a great starting place when talking with your teen about driving. Remember that before handing over your keys, make sure your teen agrees to do the following:
- Check in before going for a drive. This means telling you where he/she is going, who will be riding in the car, and when the teen will be back.
- Stay focused on driving. This means no cell phones, no fiddling around with the radio, eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
- To buckle up every time he/she gets into a car, even if the teen isn’t driving. Remember it is the law.
- Never drink and drive.
- Obey all traffic laws and signs.
- Don’t speed.
And if your teen gets into a car accident, we can help you! For more than 25 years, experienced personal injury lawyer Anthony Carbone has been working hard to get his clients the money they deserved after an accident. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation.