Watch Out! Pedestrian Accidents are on the Rise
It’s summer and everyone wants to be outside these days. So let’s say on a particularly beautiful summer day, you want to go for a run. While jogging, you take a quick look before crossing a busy street. There are no cars coming before crossing. But as soon as you begin to jog across, a fast-moving car comes out of nowhere and hits you. What now?
Pedestrian accidents have slowly been on the rise in the past few years. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 4,743 pedestrian deaths in the United States in 2012, a 6 percent increase from 2011 and the highest number in five years. In addition, pedestrian deaths accounted for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities in 2012 as well as 3 percent of all the people injured in traffic crashes. It is becoming an epidemic that can be avoided.
In 2013, the U.S. Department of Transportation unveiled a new website geared toward the prevention of pedestrian deaths. Included on this website is some safety tips to keep in mind when you are going out for a walk:
- Always follow the rules of the road when you are walking.
- Stay on sidewalks when available. When not available, walk facing traffic as far off the road as you can.
- Stay alert! Keep your eyes off your phone and on the road.
- Look for cars in all directions.
- Cross at crosswalks, not between cars.
- Wear bright clothing, especially at nighttime.
- And never assume that the driver sees you. Try to make eye contact if you can.
With the July 4th holiday just around the corner, the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone, PC would like everyone to be safe so please keep these tips in mind when going out!
Did you get into a car accident? Then let us help you! With more than 25 years of experience, personal injury lawyer Anthony Carbone is ready to fight for you. Contact us today for a free consultation. And don’t forget to download our free accident report app today!