The steps you take after an auto accident will impact your ability to seek compensation. However, in the moments following a car accident, remembering what to do can be difficult. The most important thing is to remain calm and make sure you do not admit fault. Everything else can be determined through an investigation by New Jersey car accident lawyer Anthony Carbone, but if you have admitted fault, you may waive your right to seek the compensation you are due.
Steps to Take Following an Auto Accident
Immediately following an auto accident you should:
- Check yourself and your passengers for injuries
- Call 911
- Gather contact and insurance information from all involved drivers
- Gather the contact information of any witnesses
- Take pictures of the accident with your cellphone or a camera
- Notify your insurance company, but do not discuss a settlement or admit fault
Once emergency personnel arrive:
- Cooperate with EMTs
- Without admitting fault, provide an account of the accident to attending officers
- Get the name and badge number of any police officers you speak with
When you are cleared from the scene:
- Schedule an appointment with your doctor
- Contact Jersey City car accident lawyer Anthony Carbone
Even if you do not have any obviously severe injuries, you will want to schedule an appointment with your doctor. Many injuries sustained in an auto accident can take weeks or even months to become apparent. The sooner these injuries are discovered, the better you chance of recovery.
Contacting your insurance company while on the scene of the accident is important. They may want to send an adjustor to the scene for their own documentation. However, do not allow them to talk you into a settlement until you have first discussed your case with New Jersey auto accident lawyer Anthony Carbone. Attorney Carbone will assess the full damages caused by your accident and fight for the real compensation you deserve.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Hudson County, New Jersey, please contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone to schedule a free case evaluation today.