Question for Attorney Carbone: My Teen Was Arrested for DUI. What Will Happen to Her?

Posted May 22nd, 2017 by .

Categories: Criminal Defense.

underage dui charges law offices of anthony carboneQuestion: Our 16-year-old daughter had gone to a friend’s house for a small party. We didn’t realize it before she left, but there was alcohol at the party. Around midnight, our teen left the party and drove home. She reached a DUI checkpoint on the way home and she had to do a field sobriety test. She swears she only had a couple of drinks, enough for a buzz, but the Breathalyzer results showed she was over the limit.  We’re worried about her future. What will happen to her?

Answer: A sad situation and an all-too-familiar one at that. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a 2015 survey found that 33 percent of high school students drank alcohol and 8 percent drove after drinking. In fact, 20 percent had stated that they rode with a driver who had been drinking alcohol.

New Jersey is very strict when it comes to teens drinking and driving. It doesn’t take much to be considered driving while drunk as a teen — all you need is a BAC that’s 0.01 percent to be facing charges of underage DUI. Your daughter is facing the following penalties:

  • A suspension of her license from 30 days to 90 days
  • 15-3o days of mandatory community service
  • Participation in alcohol education and highway safety programs
  • And, depending on the situation, facing DUI penalties given to adults, such as fines and an ignition interlock installed on the car.

This doesn’t even cover any penalties she’s facing for underage drinking. That will come with its own fines and penalties.

Will she be going to jail? Chances are slim. Remember the juvenile criminal defense system is different from the adult system. So she’s more likely to be facing fines and a loss of her license. Especially if this is her first offense.

As for her future, it’s pretty cloudy right now. An underage DUI charge can go on her criminal record, which could affect her chances of getting into a college, a trade school, or even getting a good job out of high school.

The best thing you can do for your daughter right now is to hire an experienced juvenile criminal defense lawyer to help with your case. Your attorney will be able to help get the most lenient sentence for your daughter.

If your son or daughter is facing underage DWI charges, don’t wait. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone now for a free consultation.

Share this Post

Questions about your criminal defense case?

Contact Us Today
Live Chat
Celebrating 35 Years in Practice!

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation

    Back to Top
    Live Chat